New media

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chapter 5 STORY

I found Chapter 5 of A Whole New Mind to be so interesting. I can completely understand what is meant by we don't learn logic, we learn stories. Recounting back on how well I understood things being taught to me in grade school, I can remember how it was the stories that my teacher told in conjunction to what was being taught that really stuck with. I can barely remember anything that was ever taught to me in math, but I can remember the stories that were told in my other classes and the topics being taught. I strongly believe that storytelling is a crucial aspect in learning. It is the glue that sticks whats being taught in the mind. I can also relate storytelling in the visual arts. For me, when remembering paintings I've studied in the past, the ones that had stories that went along with them are the ones that stand out the strongest in my mind. It is clear just how important storytelling is in all areas of our lives. I felt that the section in the chapter on the affects of storytelling in business was right on. I know that when I compare products on the shelf, I will always pick the one that has a better reason for me to give that company my money. So many of today's merchandise comes with a story of the background of the company, or the beginnings of a new design. I think that most people can agree that when given the opportunity to buy something of charitable profit we always take it. Storytelling doesn't just stop at the products produced by companies, but also is also inhibited by the employees. I think its great that business people are taking the importance of storytelling more seriously now. I firmly believe that the more something is relate able to a person, the more willing they are to believe in it. In the case of a business person, the more successful they will be in the end

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home