New media

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Conclusion: A Whole New Mind

The final chapter of the book A Whole New Mind really made the greatest impact on me. As I continue with my education and try to find myself as an artist in my community, the biggest struggle for me is if my work is conveying its meaning. Without meaning there really is no substance to anything. People really tend to push the importance of spirituality, not necessarily religiousness, but spirituality and happiness aside. So much of today's culture is driven by money and business. People forget the importance of being aware of ones own happiness and having the peace of mind that comes from spirituality also help as far as being successful at business. Having ones life more centered and being more focused on being healthy both physically and mentally strengthens personality, I think, to the point of relieving the stress. Forgetting to relax every once and a while and having a laugh and not being completely serious all day helps me in keeping my focused and keeping my mind at ease. As an artist, if I pushed happiness aside I'm not sure that I would have anything to work from. Sure some may say that a lot of artists dwell on depression and working out their feelings through expression. However, I cant see how myself as an artist could continue on being an artists without finding happiness in doing what I do. Meaning is the nucleus artistic expression as well as it for many other activities, businesses, or parts of life. Finding meaning in our everyday doings should be a goal of all of us. In order to continue on in life and be successful and happy we must have meaning. In order to continue on as an artist, I must have meaning in doing what I do, in expressing myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home